Tuesday, May 24, 2011

#222 Oven Baked Corn Dogs

Overall Grade: B
Preparation Ease: B
Flavor Grade: B
Repeat Possibility: A

I love a good fair corn dog, so I was excited to bake these little ditties. Yet, they didn't turn out exactly like I wanted them.

The recipe was really basic. Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix, egg, milk and chili powder, hot sauce and cumin. I didn't have chili powder so I used Penzy's (my favorite spice brand...which reminds me...I need more Vanilla Sugar!) Chili 3000, which gave the corn muffin an awesome flavor.

I used BallPark All Beef Bun Length Franks.

You simply (ha...yeah...that's what I thought!) bamboo skewer the dog and dip it in the batter and bake. RR distinctly says not to put too much batter on or it will slide off during baking. Well, I clearly don't know what too much is (see below). It all slid off and the batter was more on the side of the dog than around it. So they didn't exactly turn out like fair dogs. BOOOOO! So- i guess you have to try these a couple of times to get the right about of batter (which is why I'll repeat it!).

I loved the flavor of the cornbread, and had enough batter left over to make tiny muffins...but I really wanted that flavor around my dog. So I was disappointed by that. Otherwise, I think the flavor would have rocked.

So- I'll try them again, just with modifications. And I think I like them better for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment