Tuesday, May 17, 2011

#242 Tomato-Basil Pasta Nests

Overall Grade: A
Preparation Ease: A
Flavor Grade: A-
Repeat Possibility: A


I had picked several different recipes for this week (using random number generator), but I realized that I had some food that I needed to fix before it went bad, mainly, Costco's Chicken and Mozzarella Raviolis. We got a pack (of 2) with a coupon a while back, and while they weren't my favorites on the first try- we needed to eat them up. So I decided to make the Tomato Basil Pasta sauce (a previously enjoyed favorite) to go on top. So- yes- I modified.

The sauce is super easy, just crushed tomatoes, fresh basil, and pre-made pesto (store bought, again from Costco- have you had it? Its SOOO yummy!), garlic, and parmesan cheese. I didn't measure anything and didn't add the onions.  But it was so good.

We scooped it on the raviolis and VOILA...dinner! Again, I don't love the raviolis...but the sauce is amazing. I gave it a flavor grade of A- though because I used Hunts tomato sauce and Aldi tomato paste (Which I'll never buy again). Had I used crushed tomatoes- it would have been 10x better. So, again, user error on that one! Lesson: use good quality Crushed Tomatoes. (I'll be canning some this summer...for sure!)



I told you I'd have a picture this time! 

This was the final scene. Take and bake French Baguette that was slathered with butter, the ravs, the sauce, some sun-dried tomatoes, and goat cheese that I got at the farmers market on Saturday, from a local farm. 

Oh- and we didn't eat all the bread! And the leftover sauce will be saved...probably for pita pizzas, which is my favorite use for leftover sauce. And I should have fixed a salad, but I didn't! Next time!


Later this week...#222 Oven-Baked Corndogs, and #11 Italian Sub Stoup

No comments:

Post a Comment